The University of Arizona wins White House Healthy Campus Challenge thanks to efforts by Project SHARE and Campus Health!!
Application Deadline: 2017/2018 application is closed. Apply summer 2018.
The Center for Rural Health (CRH) recruits Phoenix & Tucson health professional students to participate in SHARE. This is an opportunity for healthcare and public health students to 1) train as Certified Application Counselors or Navigators, 2) learn to navigate the healthcare system, and 3) be a leader for health. Training and certificates provided by the Regional Center for Border Health, Inc. (RCBH), in collaboration with the Western Region Public Health Training Center (WRPHTC).
Throughout the certificate year, SHARE participates in enrollment events, outreach fairs and weekly SHARE office hours to reach the uninsured and under-insured. SHARE helps consumers understand health insurance coverage at events held across Pima and Maricopa County. Students also help market the program and events within their designated colleges.
This is a 10 month commitment with occasional, part-time hours (30-45 hours total) from August 2017 to May 2018.
SHARE Training: in-person and online, self-paced
» Click to view our new introduction video to the SHARE Program!
Ideal Applicant must:
- Be at least 18 years of age and a U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident (social or taxpayer ID number required for Arizona Department of Insurance licensing applications)
- Be an upper division student in one of the health professional colleges (Public Health, Medicine, Nursing or Pharmacy) or 4th year undergraduate public health, nursing, pre-pharmacy or pre-medicine student.
- Be a University of Arizona student during Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 and have a UA Net ID and password.
- Participate in SHARE on an occasional, part-time basis (30-45 hours at minimum)
- Complete all required SHARE quality improvement tests (pre/posttest, etc.) by specified deadlines as instructed by SHARE Leaders and the Special Projects Coordinator.
- Complete all Certified Application Counselor online training (10-15 hours) or Navigator online training (40 hours)
- Be available for all specified training dates (to be determined).
- Submit appropriate fingerprinting and Arizona Department of Insurance licensing paperwork.
Be able to apply for an Arizona Department of Insurance license. See ADOI website for requirements including the following:
- Have not committed any action that is a ground for license denial under ARS § 20‐295 (review link carefully)
- Have not been convicted of a misdemeanor involving fraud or dishonesty, among other items (review items in the application carefully).
- Participate in enrollment events, SHARE office hours and outreach events October 2017 to May 2018 (10+hours).
- Promote program opportunities to your college.
- Abide by HIPAA regulations and keep all personally identifiable information secure.
- Not have any Conflict of Interest with an insurance company as outlined HERE.
Participants Receive (per availability):
- Medicine: CUP hours (Potential CUP Leadership roles) & CHIP hours (Potential CHIP Leadership roles)
- Pharmacy, Public Health, Nursing, Pre-Medicine, Pre-Pharmacy: 1 unit Independent Study (Fall 2017)* & Community Service Hours
*1 Unit requires specific hours/semester and course registration permission. Contact Alyssa Padilla for more information, firstname.lastname@example.org. All hours and units are subject to change per program leadership.
SHARE Program in the News:
- UA Health Sciences Students Help Arizonans Navigate Health Care Enrollment
- UA Named a White House Healthy Campus
Students and staff from the UA Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health attended Healthy Campus Challenge Day at the White House. From left, Alyssa Padilla; Nicole Lorona; Kristie Canegallo, former assistant to President Obama and deputy chief of staff for implementation, the White House; and Ariel Hayes.
Second-year UA College of Medicine – Phoenix student
and SHARE leader, Jaymus Ryan Lee
- AHCCCS Application: www.healthearizonaplus.gov/
- AZ Marketplace Application : https://www.healthcare.gov/
- AZ Marketplace Application (Spanish): https://www.cuidadodesalud.gov/
- Schedule an appointment with a Certified Assister (Navigator or Certified Application Counselor): http://coveraz.org/connector/
- Training Materials & Guides: https://marketplace.cms.gov/technical-assistance-resources/training-materials/training.html
- Health Insurance Explained: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-58VD3z7ZiQ&t=7s
- Health Insurance Terms: https://marketplace.cms.gov/technical-assistance-resources/training-materials/insurance-coverage-key-terms.pdf
- Health Insurance Marketplace 101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-wnyMmvM-E&feature=youtu.be
- Policy Analysis on the proposed American Health Care Act (AHCA): http://crh.arizona.edu/node/1776
For more information or to request a Health Insurance 101 presentation, contact:
Ariel Hayes, SHARE Leader-Tucson | email@example.com